Sunday, September 4, 2011

SUSAN C. 2011


In anticipation of the 10th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, I’ve attempted to gather my thoughts and answer the questions posed in The Before Project. Ten years can feel like a lifetime or can seem to fly by quickly. From my perspective, the older we are the faster time goes.

For me more things have changed in my life in the last 10 years than have stayed the same. I’ve just completed my 12th year at The Ellis School as the school receptionist and the assistant to our Director of College Counseling. I’m as happy at Ellis now as I was 10 years ago, perhaps even more so, as I’ve become more comfortable in my positions and in my ability to relate to teenage girls.

Since 2001 I’ve moved, lost significant members of my family, gained a son-in-law and a granddaughter, had my daughter and her family move far away from me and then closer, and reconnected with a childhood pal who has become my best friend and partner.

In the next ten years I’m planning to retire, find some volunteer activities, enjoy my family, travel, and enjoy the Florida sunshine.

On September 10, 2011 I will be celebrating with my neighbors at the 33rd annual Severn Street Block Party. It is a joyous occasion when we gather to spend the evening visiting, eating, playing bingo, listening to music, and watching the children have fun. Block parties are such a wonderful American tradition and I’m very glad to be a part of carrying it on.

On September 11, 2011 I will be at home doing my regular weekend chores and activities. I would rather visit the Shanksville site instead. My visit there in 2007 was emotional and inspiring and I’m looking forward to returning when the permanent memorial is finished.

A big lesson I’ve learned as a result of the 2001 terrorists attacks is that not everyone in the world places a high value on human life. There are people who feel honored to die for what they believe in and they indoctrinate their children with those beliefs so that radical fundamental extremism is passed on from generation to generation. If this cycle is not broken, the threat of terrorism will continue to exist and we will never again be able to enjoy the feeling of security we had before September 11, 2001.

***
To read Susan's thoughts from 2002, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment